New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - Helmet or headset?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Helmet or headset? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Helmet or headset? Reply with quote

whats better for training? I'll be flying 2 hours a day, so whatever works best ill spend the money to get!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmet thing keeps popping up. Personally I think I'd rather wear one although I don't and I understand the reasons it's often considered impractical. But I don't ride horses, go rollerblading or ride a bike without a helmet. I wish it was more common among civilian pilots in this country. Maybe I'll get one after I get my PPL and it's only me responsible for saving my skin!
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan, you may wish to have a look at this thread and also do a search for the topic to which the second post alludes on the subject. In fact - there are many subjects (on being a Student) covered in the forums and a search brings up some surprises at times!

http://www.helitorque.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1116&highlight=helmet

FF
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered an event a couple of years ago - an instructor was walking away from the heli (think it was a 269?) and was struck on the head by the m/r which was windmilling after shutdown. He died from his injuries after some days. The discussion did turn to 'how' since I was actively flying then and being 6'3" I did try, standing under a (static) blade to see even at stop, how much droop there was. Of course, if it was windmilling, a gust of wind could easily alter the disc tilt and it must have been that which caught the unfortunate man. The story IIRC was that he used a helmet when flying but had removed it - also leaving the area whilst rotors turning is not an approved action..you are still in command until the last movement stops.

I have looked in topics under Search but there are too many cross-references..

Jen - have you looked at the top of your User Control Panel (on here, not in the R22!)

FF

oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen

Hughes 500 always wears a helmet for flying/ training etc, I'm sure he will explain the benefits of using one.
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would you get one from? Presumably it needs to be fitted correctly.
McBad
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen wrote:
Where would you get one from? Presumably it needs to be fitted correctly.

I know some people use these http://www.alphaeaglehelmet.co.uk/ but beyond that I don't know much about them. I do agree that if it was there in the helicopter, in the same way as headphones are usually supplied, I would wear it. I was speaking to an ex-army pilot who had someone walk away up hill from the lynx he was shutting down; he was knocked flying but his helmet saved his life (centurian I think). I also read somewhere, pprune I think, about a crop sprayer who crash landed and his head ended up jammed between metal work / the helicopter and the ground. Again his helmet saved him from anything more than cuts and bruises. Quite convincing.

Having thought about helmets the next consideration is what else should we be wearing... Something fire-proof seems to me a very good idea but try finding something like that which is aimed at the leisure helicopter market in the UK and you really struggle. There are some ex-air force fire-proof flying suits and you can import some quite nice stuff from the states (I've got a Nomex fleece from Massif Mountain Gear http://www.massif.com/nomex_clothing/ ) but I think there is a bit of a hole in the market.

I'd not like to have a crash of any sort with all that fuel behind my head wearing normal clothes (or my bikini Laughing ).

M.

[Later PS: This thread on Pprune http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/110753-helmets-should-you.html is quite interesting and the crop duster story I half remembered is there, posted by offshoreigor on 22/11/2000.]

Last edited by McBad on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
spl23
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McBad wrote:
Having thought about helmets the next consideration is what else should we be wearing... Something fire-proof seems to me a very good idea but try finding something like that which is aimed at the leisure helicopter market in the UK and you really struggle. There are some ex-air force fire-proof flying suits and you can import some quite nice stuff from the states (I've got a Nomex fleece from Massif Mountain Gear) but I think there is a bit of a hole in the market.

The most recent (I think?) Robinson safety note recommends that pilots and passengers in the R22 and R44 wear fireproof clothing. As a result, Robinson sell Nomex flight suits from their website - see the bottom of http://www.robinsonheli.com/prodapp.htm

$130, which even after shipping and tax isn't too steep. That said, I can't help but feel that if I turned up at my school wearing a Nomex suit and a helmet, my instructor would laugh me out of the room...
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company McBad lists is probably better known as Headset Service Limited, they re based at Shoreham airport.

They (used) to supply the helmets for the Sussex PAS and the ambulance paramedics. I dealt with them briefly ans they were very helpful and pointed me in the direction I needed - for parts for another manufacturer's helmet. They did try to sell me one of there Alpha helmets but the price was way out of my range at the time.

Edited to add that you will probably get laughed at if you turn up for a ppl lesson in fire retardant flying suit, gloves and helmet.

W.
McBad
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:
Edited to add that you will probably get laughed at if you turn up for a ppl lesson in fire retardant flying suit, gloves and helmet.

W.

That's the rub! But is it any more laughable than turning up to a PPL flying lesson in airline issue black trousers, white nlylon shirt and clip-on tie?

It's just a culture thing, if everyone arrived in suit, gloves and helmet then no-one would think twice about it or laugh.

Perhaps we Helitorquers should start a new standard in in-flight dress... Whirlygirl, can we get a Nomex suit with the Helitorque logo embroidered on it?

M
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my biggest thought about the helmet is its size, would it make training more difficult, having something large on your head, i like the idea of not having to wear sunglasses, instead having a large tinted visor, safety is also an asset! I like the look of my instructors helmet during my FAM flight.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is a culture thing. I wear the white leather gloves as I always get sweaty hands (my quality of flying!) and I ve had the pi$$ taken several times over them.

But as an aside I d avoid anything made of nylon - just in case of fire.

W.
spl23
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotWolf wrote:
I agree that it is a culture thing. I wear the white leather gloves as I always get sweaty hands (my quality of flying!) and I ve had the pi$$ taken several times over them.

I never fly without gloves - bought a pair of the RAF-issue white leather gloves after an early solo session when learning fixed-wing, when it started to rain as I was on final, and my hands got so sweaty that I kept losing grip on the yoke... To my instructor's credit, he's never taken the p*ss about them, even though he seems not to bother with anything at all in the way of safety gear himself - well, other than Ray-Bans, of course...
McBad
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
my biggest thought about the helmet is its size, would it make training more difficult, having something large on your head, i like the idea of not having to wear sunglasses, instead having a large tinted visor, safety is also an asset! I like the look of my instructors helmet during my FAM flight.

Having something large on their heads doesn't seem to bother the thousands of people who learn to ride motorbikes each year in the UK (where helmets are madatory and now just accepted if you are motoring on two wheels). I don't see as it would be an issue for flying training as most of the face is clear...

It's just that 'the way we do things around here' is different between the flying fraternity and the motor cycling fraternity. When I finally get to one of these Helicopter Safety Evenings I might ask about it there.

M
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the line of this slightly OT (which it is already) - I was thinking about the flying suit this afternoon whilst seated on terra firma. FWIR (AFAIR? - well 'from what I remember' 'as far as i recall' etc) the engineers at TAMS all wear flying suits - at least the couple I met did and also all the pilots in the Army and RAF do too. I almost always used to wear a tie for lessons.. ( Confused ) but perhaps because I came from work to the airport although I see no reason for not dressing smart when flying - the Instructors always do.

I'd be quite happy in a proper one-piece and my thinking this afternoon was about where would I get one from that's made to fit ME! If it was being so exclusive that it was tailor-made one could have anything one likes on it and of course it'd be made out of whatever is the safest material necessary (and of course, the lightest too).

Any (civilian) retailers out there do this kind of service? I guess the makers for the services must do them to specific measurements for individual personnel.

FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: