New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - 38yr old STUDENT PILOT (R22) living the dream!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

38yr old STUDENT PILOT (R22) living the dream! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus,

Just replied to your post in my post about first solo (if that makes sense), and I really did mean it - ring me anytime.

I just read your update and know exactly how / where you are. I'd love to give you some ultimately worldly piece of advice about how to "crack the back" of it. There isn't any. There is no single magic piece of advice, tip, comment or anything else which will ever make you hover well. It is solely just practice; and at times the practice is thoroughly demoralising!!

I was asked in the bar after my solo, by my instructor (after beer I should add): "How do you hover then Craig?."

My reply: "No bloody idea... fancy another?!"

Don't get me wrong, my hovering is never going to be perfect, but I can hover now. I was truly AWFUL before. Something, somewhere, just happened. Must have been the "hover fairies," I like that idea.

Keep it up. The other thing my instructor wisely says is that those of us that learn in winter will LOVE the summer!!!

C.
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i can relate to that, also, knowing "how" you do it is almost as difficult as explaining to someone "what it feels like" to do it !!! (i know what i mean!)

I've considered the winter training thing and discussed it with the school, couldn't agree more. Learning in the challenging winter conditions will hopefully prepare me for the worst the weather can ever throw at me and it'll be great flying in the summer!Thanks again for the encouragement...
Hope to get in the air on Friday to start Auto training as i feel i need a change from hover practice! Watch this space!
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GUS, one really CAN learn to hover G-TINK - hey, I did it!! Wink (And little ol' Tink can be a twitchy one!)

Seriously, keep at it - there isn't any substitute for practice. Although interesting you mention about flying tired - I'm not going to recommend that captains of aircraft fly when they're exhausted, that'd be stupid and dangerous.

However, I wonder if there's any merit in trying to learn to hover, in the benign training environment, when you're tired. Your conscious brain definately won't be able to keep up with the helicopter - so the subconscious should take over, and you'll be hovering before you know it!

And take heart - if you hover the R22, everything else will be a doddle.
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well James, i think my subconscious brain hadn't previously payed enough attention to know what to do and my instructor said if we didn't quit when we did i was going to fall asleep!!!! I know what you mean though, i'll get to a point where i'm doing it without thinking...

I'm assuming you got them photos of G-TINK???

I'm planning to take more in the summer and even considering attempting to video a lesson from inside the cockpit! (don't think i'll be allowed though!) Got my days mixed up and realised i'm booked in at 12 noon today, lookin at the weather i'm guessing i'll defo be doing Auto's today!!!
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of TINK - yes, thank you very much! Very Happy
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Lesson update.... 14.1 HRS TT Reply with quote

Ok well i think i've just about cracked hovering as i'm beginning to hold it without thinking too much about it, which has kind of surprised me. It does clearly improve with practice... Very Happy
Got into Autorotations this week and thouroughly enjoyed it. The demo looked like hard work but after a shakey start i quickly got the hang of it and ended by doing a few 180's too! (zero wind, so not patting myself on the back too much!!!)
My last lesson started well with hovering, landing/takeoffs, on a particularly gusty day, progressing to spot turns which i just could'nt get to grips with!...i was briefed on sideways and backward moves too but just didn't get that far...
However applying the same theory of "practice makes perfect" i'm sure that lots more of it will have me smiling again... As soon as i get to about 180 degrees i'm losing it and start leaving the airfield!
Hover taxiing downwind is also proving to be very difficult...
Though at times you think that your NEVER going to master certain things....You have to believe you can do it....
"Vortex ring" mentioned for thursday....
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Lesson update.... 16.8 HRS TT Reply with quote

I'm back! Had 2 lessons since my last update, 1.3 hrs on spot turns/ landing & takeoffs/ sideways and backward/ hovering. 1.4 hrs mainly on vortex ring.
Found these lessons tough, my concentration span could be better. There was little wind this time for the 1.3hr lesson and whilst i found spot turns a little easier, the rest of the time i felt like i was all over the place! It wasn't helped by the fact that it took us about half an hour to get the aircraft going! I was ready to go home! (the day after all that snow!! & It had been nearly 2 weeks since my last lesson and i was visibly tense...) I am realising how important it is to fly as often as possible, and RELAX!

The weirdest thing was happening though, every time i got shakey, i mentally told myself to "RELAX" and hey presto, all went smooth and well! Anyone else experienced this????

Today i felt a little more at ease with a few thousand feet under me, and found the lesson on vortex ring really challenging. I found it harder to manage than auto's. The weather was poor but i was delighted that i was invited to start up, take off, hover taxi onto the runway and transition away... That's a first for me!
Next lesson, Sunday...
Intentionally Blank
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson update.... 16.8 HRS TT Reply with quote

gusmagoo wrote:
The weirdest thing was happening though, every time i got shakey, i mentally told myself to "RELAX" and hey presto, all went smooth and well! Anyone else experienced this????

Yep!
rjc
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work!

Yep, best thing to do is relax and take a slow breath. The trick is, don't think too hard.

I did a bit solo recently at the end of a lesson, on lift off doing a turn to check the runway, the wind caught me. For a sec I had a very "clenched" moment Shocked Relaxed by vice like grip, deep breath, and all sorted Very Happy

Keep up the good work, it seems once you realise you know you can do it - things come on in leaps and bounds.
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know what you mean - "The Death Grip" everytime I get it, it all goes wrong!

I am flying on Thursday Wx permitting!
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Lesson update.... 24.8 HRS TT Reply with quote

Ok folks, done a further 8 hours since my last update so for those interested here's where i'm at.....
Just got back from possibly my best lesson (from a good/bad point of view) helped no doubt by possibly the nicest day of the year so far at Liverpool airport. Ok i was only hovering, taking off, landing, spot turns, sideways etc plus emergency procedures from the hover and hover taxi (engine failures/forced landing) but i felt really comfortable and even though i haven't flown for a couple of weeks it's beginning to get a little easier.... My last 6 weeks lessons have involved a recap of all the stuff i've previously covered oh and a tough lesson on slopes which i was quite bad at! (i'm blaming a horrid crosswind!) and since i've now passed my air law and human performance exams i can feel the solo creeping round the corner! You will all hear about that of course! I'm anticipating circuits for forthcoming lessons so watch this space!
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: FIRST SOLO!..... 36.8 HRS TT Reply with quote

Very Happy YIPEEEEEE! Very Happy
Did my first SOLO this morning out of Liverpool Airport! Still can't believe it! (I had no idea it would be today!)
Think i did about four circuits PUT touch and go before Gary said "so, ready to do it on your own then!???"

".........Errrmmmm, YEA, gotta do it sooner or later !!!! "

Next landing, taxied back to kilo, informed Tower of my intention to do first solo, a quick run through the differences i'd need to compensate for without Gary on board, and up into the hover! Got taxi clearance to hold at Golf and waited for what seemed an age whilst a couple of holiday flights departed, then, my turn, quick look round, (empty seat next to me Shocked ) carefully onto the runway, asked for a repeat of the clearance cos i'd missed him saying i could take off....Then it was up, up and away!!!! Right hand circuit, settled down into the cruise at 1000 ft, replaced the FREDAT checks with a bit of a "YAHOOO" thing (to myself not to tower!), downwind and final calls, full carb heat etc etc, then smoothly into the hover taxi back to kilo via taxiway Golf. Even got a "well done" from the tower!!!
Picked up Gary and back to base, lots more to come!...
BIG difference in handling and performance solo, cyclic to the left, aircraft lighter (especially for landing but warned about it)
Presented on return with a bottle of champagne which i quickly realised was for me to wear rather than drink! I got soaked!..
A day i'll never forget, I know i've clocked a lot of hours but i've covered a lot of exercises now so there should be plenty of solo stuff to come, this is just the beginning Very Happy
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That deserves a big WELL DONE!!! Wink

erm..Having a drink later perhaps? Wink

GPS - No fix available Sad
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thomas,
unfortunately working Friday and Saturday night, then flying again early Monday morn so the celebration will be delayed till after then!
If the weather holds i'll be doing solo circuits (at least an hour if poss) on Monday but the forecast doesn't look too good.
Oh well, plenty of summer time to enjoy my flying!
Cheers again,
GUS...
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Gus!

I don't envy you doing it at a major airport, but it sounds like the tower were good to you!

Hope the Wx holds out on Monday for you - best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: