Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Private & Personal Flying

MD500 help please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeliFeli
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: MD500 help please Reply with quote

I am just looking into an MD500 share, and have to say that so far it looks like a stunning machine.

I have however a few questions, and wonder if the great and the good of the forum might be able to share some experiences:

I am a low-time heli pilot, with no turbine experience (although I have a few hundred fixed wing hours). How sensible is an MD500 for someone like me? All of my rotary hours are on an R44, so obviously this is a whole new ball game anyway, but should I build time on pistons or (given suitable instruction) is it not that big a deal?

If you were buying a share for a not-insignificant outlay, how far would you go in terms of inspections, engineer's reports etc, or would you just be checking documentation and working on the basis that whatever needs doing will always result in a big bill anyway?

Along those lines, are there any things that you'd specifically look for or avoid with that particular model (it's actually a 1974 Hughes 369HS if that helps)?

Finally, how would you go about valuing a share? It seems that as avionics fit, condition and component times etc vary with every single model out there, it's almost impossible to get a comparable model to..er..compare?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in advance...
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HF

well your astute observation on the other thread is proven by the lack of response.

Did you go for the share in the end?
If it moves i want a go
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a jump but I went straight from R22s to a 369D - if you go for it, make sure you get instruction with somebody who knows them well. I absolutely love them and am fortunate enough to work with them now.

They are quick, manoeuvrable and can be quite forgiving to rough handling. As with any heli tho, complacency is not your friend!

I would absolutely get any potential purchase inspected - speak to Martin at Skytech Helicopters at Sywell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Private & Personal Flying All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: